With San Antonio temperatures breaking the 100-degree mark already, 83-year-old Delia Reyes isn’t looking forward to the long summer months ahead.
“It’s been tough because it’s been too hot, and I don’t have good air-conditioning,” Reyes said. “It’s been particularly hard because I’ve been sick lately.”
But now Reyes, along with more than 50 families, will keep a little cooler with the help of HealthTexas Medical Group. They all received a box fan recently during HealthTexas’ annual fan giveaway at their 17 clinics throughout San Antonio, which the medical group has been doing for the past 13 years.
“It’s important for our senior population to stay hydrated and to stay cool during summer,” said Dr. Francisco Barajas, who presented box fans to families at the Las Palmas location. “At our clinic on the West Side, there is sometimes economic distress, so it’s our way to help our patients and families. And we’re happy to help them beat the heat this summer.”
Meanwhile, Dr. Barajas offers the following tips to prevent dehydration or a heat-related illness:
• Drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated. Don’t wait until you’re already thirsty.
• Avoid exercising outdoors during peak temperatures. Instead, take advantage of early morning or later in the evening when it’s not so hot.
• Wear loose-fitting clothing and a lighter fabric, such as cotton, and a hat or cap to help shield you from the sun.
• Take frequent showers in cool water to help lower your body temperature.
• Use a fan even in an air-conditioned room. Fans help circulate air and make you feel cooler.
Courtesy of Rudy Arispe and NowCastSA