5 Tips to Reverse Aging
5 Things You Can Do To Reverse Aging
I’ll provide you the short answer, as a board certified Anti-Aging and Restorative Medicine specialist and geriatrician.
- Maintain a normal body weight. The only thing that has been proven medically to extend aging is caloric restrictions.
- Sleep well. 7-8 hours nightly. Sleep is restorative and lack of sleep has devastating effects.
- Aerobic exercise, 4 times weekly 45 minutes at a time (interval training may be best). Exercise lowers markers of inflammation, which helps to prevent dementia, heart disease, and fragility.
- Stay socially and mentally active. Learning new skills helps to prevent Alzheimer’s disease. The one thing that is most associated with a long life is family to help care for you as you age. A corollary is that staying close to family and friends makes you feel “younger” and is protective.
- Be young at heart. Never stop laughing, learning and living.
I’d highly recommend the best selling book, “The Blue Zones.” It studied areas of the world that had people with the longest living lives, and the characteristics that they all shared.
There are future supplements and pharmaceuticals that may show promise for true life extension such as: telomerase inhibitors, resveratrol, bio-identical hormone supplementation are examples.
There is nothing currently available that reverses the aging process, but rather extends a functional life.
Aetna Whole Healthsm Members
Same Day Urgent Appointments
When you can’t wait to feel better!
Aetna Mail Order Pharmacy
- Did you know you can have your maintenance drugs sent right to your home?
- You can get up to a 90-day supply delivered to your home, work, or other location of your choosing.
- Standard shipping is free.
- This allows you to save time and you can even re-order online, by phone or by mail.
How to get started:
- Log into your secure Aetna member account
- Call Aetna at the number on the back of your Gold Card
- Mail the order form and prescription
- You will want to have your provider complete a 30-day supply prescription for you to have filled at a local pharmacy while the mail order is being setup.
- A second Prescription for a 90-day supply with three refills to be submitted to the mail order system.
- Complete the order form, which can be found at https://www.aetna.com/individuals-families/pharmacy/rx-homedelivery.html
- Your provider can submit the form online to Aetna or Fax the completed form to 877.270.3371
- Please include: Member ID, Birthdate & mailing address
Healthy Corner Recipe
By: Hilary Meyer @
Pressure-Cooker Chicken Enchilada Prep 20 min, ready 45 min
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 –inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes Juice of 1 lime
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- ¾ cup shredded Mexican-style cheese blend Tortilla chips for garnish
- Heat oil on high, using the sauté function of your multicooker. Add onion, poblano, chicken, garlic, chili powder, and salt. Cook, Stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened and the chicken is no longer pink on the outside, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in broth, beans and tomatoes. Close and lock the lid and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Carefully release the pressure. Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons of cheese and more cilantro. If desired, Garnish with tortilla chips.
Article provided by:
Rowland Reyna, M.D., MBA
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine
- Best Doctors in America®
- Top Doctors in America®
- Texas Super Doctors®
- Best Doctors in San Antonio
- Bridges to Excellence®